At KIC, Bangalore, the choice of the Surrogate is left to the doctors who possess the skills to choose the best candidate with the best Endometrium just before the transfer.
The Surrogates are recruited through a proven Assisted Reproductive Technology bank (ART Bank).
All necessary background checks are done with the help of Concerned Authorities.
Medical- Psychological checks
The Surrogate Candidate undergoes the following tests under stringent watch of KIC’s experts :
- Tested locally for sexually transmitted diseases- all common and uncommon.
- Counseling by a Psychiatrist who counsels them in detail.
- Advanced Blood Tests including a Chromosomal Analysis.
- Hormonal Assays and a Trans-Vaginal scan to assess their own fertility (this is the most important step and is done only by KIC’s Obstetricians and Gynecologists).
Once the Surrogate Candidate passes all of the above tests, they undergo a dummy transfer wherein all medications are given for a trial cycle without actually transferring any embryos. This is done to assess her systemic response to hormonal therapy.
On successfully clearing all of them, then the Surrogate Candidate is counseled and later enlisted in KIC’s Surrogacy Program.
All through, KIC follows strictly ASRM guidelines and does all of the necessary tests for Surrogates and Donors, as listed below :
- PCR for HIV – ESR – Platelet Count / CUE – White Blood Cell Count.
- Trans-Vaginal USG: Day 21 to detect a Gestational Sac; Day 31-scan to detect Heart Beat
- Sexually Hepatitis Transmitted Diseases
- Renal Function C HCV Transmitted Diseases Test including Syphilis & Gonorrhea.
- Hb% – HIV-ABS-EIA – Liver Function Test.
- Blood Grouping – TORCH test – RBS and Rh Typing.
- TSH – Folic Acid Level – Blood Urea – Random Blood.
- BT CT – X-Ray Chest & ECG Sugar, Hb%.
- HCV Antibody – Hormonal Test, if applicable and suggested by the Doctor.
- Any other Tests suggested by Mantoux doctor.
On the day of HCG and later, the following tests are performed :
- X-Ray chest, ECG, PCR for HIV, on the day of HCG.
- Beta HCG values: 12 days after Embryo Transfer; repeated on day 15 Post-Embryo Transfer.
- Trans-Vaginal USG: Day 21 to detect a Gestational Sac; Day 31-scan to detect Heart Beat.
- Pregnancy Trans-Vaginal USG every 10 to 15 days.
In the event of pregnancy at 6 weeks of pregnancy AND after heart beat is confirmed, all of the above tests are performed again EXCEPT for Blood Group.
- Every 15 days – Hb, CUE, RBS
- 12 weeks of pregnancy – PAPA, B-HCG, Nuchal Translucency, PCR for HIV.
- Week 12- Double Test – to rule out Down’s syndrome.
- 18 weeks – Triple test, TIFFA Scan, PCR for HIV.
- 24 weeks, 30 weeks – Routine tests (the list above), PCR for HIV.
- Between Week 18 to 22: 4-D scan TIFFA – Targeted Image Fetal Anomaly scan) to detect any gross anomalies.
- 1 day before Delivery – PCR for HIV and Routine tests.
Finally, the Color Ultrasound Scans and Video Scans as well as Test Reports for Chromosomal and Genetic Abnormalities in the Donors, are scrutinized and checked by experts to rule out the chances of common chromosomal and genetic disorders.